16 August 2010

Creamy Avocado and White Bean Wraps

My friend, Joyce, recently recommended the Eating Well website to me. What I love about this site is that it has great vegetarian recipes that incorporate non-meat sources of protein.  I whipped up this quick and easy dinner last week. 


If you've read any of my previous entries, you may have noticed that my substitutions are often out of necessity, thanks to a number of ditzy moments on my part. This recipe calls for adobe chiles, which I did, indeed, purchase. I made it home from the grocery store, but the chiles did not. As a very inferior substitute, I used Frank's Chile & Lime hot sauce. As we munched on our enjoyable wraps, we commented that they were quite good, but were missing a certain something... Oh yeah, the chiles!


I have a real problem with bean textures, but I mashed the cannellinis very thoroughly. This produced a nice creamy texture. I also wasn't sure I'd like the cabbage, but it was gorgeous & added a great crunch to the dish. We'll definitely make these again. Maybe I'll add some chopped fresh tomatoes & sour cream next time. 


Wrap Recipe

    • 2 TB cider vinegar
    • 1 TB canola 
    • 2 tsp finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobe sauce
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 2 cups shredded red cabbage
    • 1 medium carrot
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used a few dashes of dried cilantro)
    • 1 can (15 oz) white beans, rinsed
    • 1 ripe avocado
    • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
    • 2 TB minced red onion (I used about 1/4 green onion instead)
    • 4 8- to 10- inch whole-wheat wraps or tortillas
  1. Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine
  2. Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in cheese and onion.
  3. To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog tonight and I love it! I'm definitely going to try these wraps and your other recipes. I'm always on the outlook for new meals.

    Hoping you write a post about the pumpkin burgers you mentioned on Facebook, I love pumpkin!

    -Malory :)

    ReplyDelete