16 August 2010

Bread Pudding

On a recent visit to Biaggi's, I discovered Bread Pudding. Their version is a white chocolate pudding made with brioche. Delicious! I decided to give bread pudding a try this week and followed this recipe, including the vanilla sauce. 


Pudding: I used a wheat French baguette and ended up fudging the whipping cream a bit. I made this on a bit of a whim Saturday night and was knee deep in the process before I realized that most of my whipping cream had disappeared into Friday's Easy Key Lime Pie. I used a cup of whipping cream and added some evaporated milk. I detest raisins in baked goods, so of course, I left them out...


Vanilla Sauce: When I got to the sauce recipe, I was dismayed to discover that I needed more whipping cream. This time, I added melted butter to milk to try to replace the cream. 


Next time, I'll use a regular French baguette and I'll be sure to have enough whipping cream on hand. I'll also decrease the sugar in the vanilla sauce (it was too sweet for me) and only use one TB of flour in the sauce (I used two this time, which made the sauce a bit too thick). 






Here's the recipe (or click on the recipe link above):


Bread Pudding

  • 3  large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2  cups  sugar
  • 2  TB light brown sugar
  • 1/2  tsp  ground nutmeg
  • 1/4  cup  butter, melted
  • 2 3/4  cups  whipping cream
  • 4  cups  cubed French bread
  • 3/4  cup  raisins


  1. Combine first 4 ingredients
  2. Stir in butter and whipping cream. 
  3. Gently stir in bread and raisins. 
  4. Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart soufflé or deep baking dish.
  5. Bake at 375° for 50 to 55 minutes, shielding with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let pudding stand 10 minutes before serving warm with Vanilla Sauce.





Vanilla Sauce

  • 1/2  cup  sugar
  • 3 TB light brown sugar
  • 1 TB  all-purpose flour
  • Dash of ground nutmeg
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 TB  butter
  • 1 1/4  cups  whipping cream
  • 1 TB vanilla extract



  1. Whisk first 7 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. 
  2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment